Fukushima(Iwaki・Koriyama・Fukushima・Aizu・Shirakawa) for travel, dining, shopping, events etc.


  • Recommended tourist spots
  • Recommended Sightseeing Course
  • About fukushima
  • Welcome to Fukushima project
  • いわき情報館
  • 郡山情報館
  • 福島情報館
  • 会津情報館
  • 白河情報館



Construction of Komine Castle was begun during Kokoku Shohei (1340-1369) by Yuuki Chikamoto as a checkpoint in the Tohoku area. In 1632, during the Edo Period, the first feudal lord, Niwa Nagashige, spent four years completing the inner enclosure of the castle in the style of the outer walls, on a hill of the flat land. After that, beginning with Matsudaira Sadanobu, seven families and twenty-one generations resided here.
In 1868 the castle fell after a fierce battle in the Boshin War. About 120 years later in 1991 reconstruction of the tower began, and in 1994 the main gate were faithfully restored in wood in the style of the Edo period.
As a symbol of friendship, on August 5, 2010, the castle was named a national landmark and place of historic interest.
*Because of the terrible 2011 earthquake, the stone wall collapsed and we cannot enter the castle.

Location Shirakawa City, Kakunai 1
Hours Three Story Tower
April- Oct. 10:00-17:00
Nov-March. 10:00-16:00
Closed Closed from December 29-January 3
Admission fee Admission Free
Tel Shirakawa Travel Office 0248-22-1111
HP http://shirakawa315.com/sightseeing/komine.html


Jishu(ji sect) - Komine Temple
Sodoshu - Choujuin, Manga Temple, Sekikawa Temple, Gesshinnin
Shingonshu - Ryuzo Temple, Enyo Temple
Tendaishu - San O Temple
Nichirenshu - Myokan Temple
Obokushu - Ryuukou Temple
Jodoshu - Sennen Temple,Josen Temple
Jodoshinshu - Myotoku Temple, Jozui Temple
Other sect denominations are Niwa Nagashige, Shougun Jizo, Kokuujizo

Location These temples are found here and there around the city.
Admission fee  
Tel 0248-22-1147
HP http://shirakawa315.com/jiin/index.html


Twelfth feudal Lord Matsudaira Sadanobu found a vast wet area called “Onuma” (Big Swamp). He decided to build a large embankment around it to save water. As construction was begun in 1801 at first it was called simply “South Lake.” The thought was inspired by the philosophy of Chinese Tang Dynasty poet Li Po, who composed poetry at Lake Dongting, his “South Lake.” Lord Matsudaira was driven by his philosophy that there should be a place for the Samurai class and commoners to mingle and enjoy together with the difference in social standing being no hindrance. We can assume that with this same belief he constructed the “Kyorakutei” tea-ceremony room for all to take a rest. In 1924 Nanko Park was designated a national historic place of scenic beauty, where his plan continues to fascinate visitors in all seasons with pine, cherry and maple trees in abundance.

Location Shirakawa City, Nankochinai
Hours Open all year at all times
Closed Open Daily.
Admission fee  
Tel 0248-22-1147
HP http://shirakawa315.com/sightseeing/nanko.html


Near Nanko Park, inside the Flower World is a colorful paradise of tulips, iris, double-blossomed cherry trees and other flowers. The garden is open from mid-April until mid-June.

Location Shirakawa Shi, Nankochinai
Hours 8:30-17:30
Closed Closed during the off season (Mid-June until mid-April)
Admission fee Adults 500 yen
High school 300 yen
Elementary and middle school 200 yen*
These fees may be discounted if flower condition is not so good
*Free if accompanied by parents
Tel 0248-23-2100
HP http://www.flower-world.net/


This magnificent iron bridge was constructed as an arch over the Abukuma River near the center of a four-kilometerlong ravine. Having a span of 81 meters and measuring 50 meters top to bottom, it forms a perfect frame for the foliage bursting into leaf around it in the springtime and turning into a breathtaking cinnabar-red view in the autumn.

Location Fukushima-ken, Nishi Shirakawa-gun, Nishigo-mura, Tsuruo Yuigahara
Admission fee  
Tel 0248-25-2910
HP http://www.vill.nishigo.fukushima.jp/


Situated in the midst of a natural plateau is a completely man-made enterprise. Here is a veritable treasure island where the family can enjoy interesting recreation.

Location Nishi Shirakawa-gun, Nishi Go Mura, Oagi Mafune Azamurabu 1
Hours Weekdays 10:00-16:30
High Season 9:30-17:00 (Sundays, holidays, golden week, Summer Vacation)
Closed Closed every Thursday except holidays and high seasons.
Admission fee Free of charge
Tel 0248-36-2231
HP http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~kyororon/


A row of 100-year old cedars line the path leading to the base of 130 stone steps to the top of the hill. Here the principle image of Buddhism is enshrined in a cave in the big rock.
In 807 Kobo Daishi made a pilgrimage to the northeastern area of Honshu, building on the way a sacred fire on Mt. Hako, where there lived a demon. Daishi prayed to be released from worldly desires. We believe this is the origin of Yamamoto Fudouson as it is recounted in history, and we too can share Daishi’s experience.
Around the central park from north to south, there is a lovely five-kilometer ravine, the Okukuzi Prefectural Nature Park, which abounds with rhododendrons during the second half of April. Mountain Cherry trees and Azaleas are also in bloom, and there is also a chance to camp and pick matsutake mushrooms and view the maples and other autumn foliage. All year long there one can enjoy this rich natural setting, including the clear running Miyakawa mountain stream, a branch of the Kuji River.

Location Higashi Shirakawa-gun, Tanagura Machi Oaza, Tanagura Azajoseki
Hours 8:30-17:00
Admission fee  
Tel 0247-33-2445
HP http://www15.ocn.ne.jp/~y-fudou/


In 1622 Niwa Nagashige was transferred from what is now Ibaraki Prefecture to Tanakura under official orders to construct a castle there. The next year he established a riding stable and Chikatsu Shrine, where he installed the symbol of the Diety. He began construction of Tanagura Castle on a vacant area of land and completed it in 1627. It stood 240 years until 1868 when it was destroyed during the Boshin War. During those years eight families and sixteen generations of lords held the castle. It has been said that sometimes a huge turtle was seen floating in the moat around the castle. When this happened the ownership of the castle was transferred to another name. This is why it is called “Turtle Castle".
There is only a 160 meter area of stone wall remaining around the moat, and on the foundation hill a wooden monument of the period of the South-North dynasties.
Today the castle site is home to a community center and museum containing a display of historical records from ancient to modern times.

Location Higashi Shirakawa-gun, Tanagura -machi, Oaza Tanagura Azajoseki
Admission fee  
Tel 0247-33-7886


Here friends and family can enjoy good food during a leisurely stay at a hot spring and sports center.

Location Shirakawa-shi, Omotego Kanayama, Azaatagoyama
Admission fee  
Tel 0248-32-3151
HP http://sekinosato.jp/

↑go to top